Cellist Kristaps Bergs (1986) stems from a family of musicians. He learned the basics of cello playing with Ņina Kalme and went to Emīls Dārziņš Music School, where he studied with Ligita Zemberga, Eleonora Testeļeca, and Diana Ozoliņa. In 2006, Kristaps enrolled in the Music and Arts University of the City of Vienna where he studied with professor Reinhard Latzko, and in 2011 he continued his studies in the class of renowned cellist and conductor Heinrich Schiff. In addition to his studies in Vienna, Kristaps participated in numerous workshops across Europe with such musicians as Mstisval Rostropovich, David Geringas, Frans Helmerson, Anner Bylsma, Arto Noras, and Valter Dešpalj, among others.
Bergs made his solo debut in 2005 in the Great Guild in Riga with the LNSO and conductor Andris Nelsons, performing Camille Saint-Saëns’s Cello Concerto in A minor. Kristaps had the great honour to perform Aulis Sallinen’s work The Nocturnal Dances of Don Juan Quixote in 2006 at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. As a soloist and chamber musician, he has performed at the New York Carnegie Hall, the Musikverein and Konzerthaus in Vienna, the Mozarteum in Salzburg, the Muziekgebouw in Amsterdam, the Royal Albert Hall and Royal Festival Hall in London, the Suntory Hall in Tokyo, and other venues. Kristaps has performed in concert in Austria, Germany, the USA, Japan, France, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, Croatia, Israel, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and other countries. He has performed with the iPalpiti orchestra, chamber orchestras Sinfonia Concertante and Sinfonietta Rīga, and with conductors
Andris Nelsons, Eduard Schmieder, Andris Vecumnieks, Normunds Šnē, and Heinrich Schiff.
Bergs is the laureate of numerous local and international competitions, including the first prizes in the International Johannes Brahms Competition (2008), the Karl Davidov International Cello Competition (2006), and the Augusts Dombrovskis International Competition (2005).
Thanks to a generous private sponsor, Kristaps plays a remarkable instrument built by Lorenzo Ventapane in Naples in 1836.